When facing a criminal charge in Kentucky, no matter how small, you have to consider lawyering up. Regardless of whether you committed the crime in the first place, you deserve the right to seek legal representation. What does it take to find a criminal attorney in London, KY? We have a few pointers below for your help.
- Ask around. If you know people who have worked with or have hired criminal defense attorneys in the past, consider asking for references. There are also websites like Nolo and Avvo than can offer ready listings. A quick search on Google will also help you find reliable names and local law firms in London.
- Know your lawyer. It goes without saying that not all criminal attorneys are equal in terms of experience and expertise. Check if an attorney has worked as a prosecutor in the past and if they have experience handling similar criminal charges. Defending someone accused of DUI is different than representing someone facing a murder charge. You need someone with relevant experience.
- Consider response. Did you have a hard time talking or reaching a criminal defense attorney’s office? Did you manage to get an appointment with the lawyer without delay? Was the lawyer proactive in their response? These are some of the basic questions you must answer when hiring a lawyer.
- Discuss the fee. Usually, family and criminal lawyers charge an hourly rate. The final fee depends on the number of hours they work on your case. Depending on the type and nature of the case, lawyers may also charge a retainer fee or flat price. It is best to get an estimate in advance.
- Go for a local lawyer. Networking is important for lawyers, and if you hire a local attorney based in London, there is a high chance that they know the prosecutors and judges. A criminal defense attorney, who knows how things may pan out in the courtroom, is your best bet.
Check the reviews
If you are hiring criminal lawyers in Kentucky for the first time, check what other clients have to say about them. Hiring a dependable attorney is easier when you can trust them for their market standing and credibility. You can always ask the law firm for a few references, but it is better to check reviews posted independently on Google.
Finally, don’t delay hiring an attorney. You have to work on your legal strategy at the earliest.